Ann Arbor Meals on Wheels needs volunteers to deliver meals to the homebound in Ann Arbor.
- Volunteers use their own vehicles to deliver up to 13 meals
- A route takes 1-2 hours to complete
- Monday – Friday, meals are picked up at the Meals on Wheels office at 11:30 a.m. and on Saturdays and holidays at 10:30 a.m.
- Volunteers deliver once a week, bi-weekly, once a month or whatever your schedules allow
Ann Arbor Meals on Wheels does more than provide nutritious food. Volunteers also provide social interaction. For many clients, as one volunteer put it, “I sometimes wonder if I am going to be the only person that they speak to today.”
Volunteers state that “It's quick, easy, worthwhile, and fun” and “I am able to help during lunch – [it has] low impact on personal time.”
- Volunteer drives must be 18 years of age or older. Volunteers under 18 years of age must be accompanied by an adult driver. Kids are welcome!
- Provide own vehicle and be insured
- Be available to deliver six times over the course of a year
- Agree to a criminal background check
- Sign a confidentiality agreement/statement
- We are unable to accommodate those with court-ordered community service.
- Complete the Volunteer Application and return it by mail, in person, or via e-mail. We also can mail a paper copy of the application to the volunteer. To request a copy, call the Ann Arbor Meals on Wheels office at (734) 998-6686.
- Contact the office to schedule your training, which includes a ride-along with an experienced volunteer.
- We will provide an overview of your responsibilities and finalize your application by making a photo copy of your driver's license.
- After you've completed your training, we will set you up with a regular route or add you to our list of substitute volunteers.